
There's about 20 planes and choppers outside, plus a reasonably sized museum indoors. It's free, it's peaceful, there's no on-site gift shop (it's across the road) and there's war memorials mixed in with the aircraft. And a pond with Koi.
The peace is wonderful and allows you time to reflect. I guess this is the point, but because you don't go into it expecting to feel like this, it's more powerful.
Anyhow, I felt humbled by the experience.
There are lots of P-3 Orions based here but nothing was flying. Perhaps because today is a bank holiday as 29-Apr is the Emperor's birthday which marks the beginning of Golden Week. It's supposed to be busy but here in South West Japan it seems almost devoid of life at times. The back roads are very quiet! We've finally mastered the all-in-Japanese satnav with really irritating female voice we've christened 'Dolis'.It doesn't seem fair to amuse ourselves by the local pronunciation of 'l' and 'r' (You're so rovery' etc) as our Japanese is non-existant, extending to a konichiwa, arigato and somewhere we read that you 'domo' on reply. So it's not amusing, but interesting that they have road signs with the English words saying 'Rocation of Hory Shline' as we saw today. Every road sign has an English and Japanese text associated, so good on them. Or we'd be lost!
This isn't our hire car, but I've been amused by the latest products of the Japanese motor industry. This is a Nissan Cube which I know we can get at home......I quite like it. It's like a mini size Hummer.....but I don't think Ben will feel the same.
On the road to Kagoshima we're hugging the west coast of Kyushu. Thus far we haven't been to any kamikaze museums but this is the area they set off from.
Nice bridge and plenty of fishermen in the river below fishing for creatures to serve up for dinner (see below)


Mount Sakurajima
is an active volcano near Kagoshima and is enormous. When it erupted in 1915 it became joined to the mainland of Japan. Today it was puffing gas from the side which creates a smog over the bay.
Then on to Kagoshima airport. I have no idea why the Japanese airport authority is out of synch with everywhere else in the world but they build airports with open air spectator facilities on the top level of the terminal. There's only an unarmed guard who dissuades 2 year olds from throwing themselves onto the tarmac so I can only assume, post 9/11, that there's some covert presence up there. But for photography and general plane and people watching, Japan is probably the one remaining location to go. Scanners, cameras, radar boxes all encouraged!
Now back in Miyakojono we filled the car up with petrol. Attendant service here, they marshal you into a refuelling slot and do everything for you at double quick time. Fuel is half the price at home but then again most of the world's is; more amusing is that the attendant got rather worried we were going to drive off without or 17yen change (10p). I know that tipping isn't expected but I guess it's not so much an insult as a cultural, service ethic. Maybe Tesco Express in Eastleigh could go this way as much of the limiting factor is getting people on the forecourt (inc the numpties who don't know the pump nozzle is designed to reach the 'other' side of the car)
Mmmmm. Starters in the 'Family Restaurant' had legs which Nick was sure were still wriggling when they arrived. Thankfully, neither of us have the faintest idea what we ate. Simple 'point at dish' type menu. Plus beer of course!

Tonight's beer. And the hot water > green tea maker of course. And Nick's laptop.


No comments:
Post a Comment